There may come a point when your loved one needs 24-hour home care. By making sure your loved one has the care they need, you are enabling them to age in the home that is familiar and comfortable to them.
You need to be in tune with what’s going on in your loved one’s life and situation:
- Are they falling more frequently?
- Have they spent time in a hospital or rehabilitation facility after a major illness or injury?
- Are they having trouble eating or drinking without help?
- Have they gotten lost or confused?
- Are they confused when family, caregivers, or friends leave for short periods?
- Are they having bathroom accidents?
- Are you losing sleep because you’re focused on their needs or are you afraid to leave them by themselves overnight?
If the answer to any of these questions is ‘yes,’ then it may be time to think about 24-hour home care. With A Peaceful Way Home Care, you can be sure that you are getting dependable, well-trained and compassionate caregivers who will meet the needs of your loved one.
There are a few questions that you should discuss with your homecare agency.
- How many caregivers will there be?
- Is the day divided into shifts? How many shifts are there?
- Will the same caregivers be coming consistently?
- What happens if a caregiver can’t come to work for some reason? Are there other caregivers who could fill-in?
- Is there someone that I could get in touch with if there is a problem? 24-hours a day?
- What tasks and duties will the caregivers be performing?
- Do supervisors ever come to check on the work of the caregivers?
This can be a difficult and confusing time for your loved one. Try to include them in the planning as much as possible and keep things as consistent as you can to give them a routine. If they have any concerns about their care or caregivers once things get going, be sure to listen and address those.
The cost of 24-hour home care may be more affordable than care in a quality nursing home. It’s important to have all the facts and check into what type of coverage your loved one has. Home care is sometimes covered under long term care insurance. There may be other programs in your area that help out with the costs of 24-hour home care.
With careful planning, 24-hour home care can become a reality for your loved one.
We know a serious concern may arise in the middle of the night and A Peaceful Way Home Care is available 24-hours a day to take your call. We make sure you have coverage if the assigned caregiver has an emergency or is ill. And we only hire those whom we’d feel comfortable caring for our own loved one.