Seniors want to age in place. Their home is familiar; it houses the memories they’ve spent a lifetime making. Most aren’t itching to surrender their independence to move into assisted living any time soon. But, there may come a time when your loved one needs a little help with everyday, non-medical basics like bathing, house cleaning, driving to doctor appointments, and/or picking up groceries. Depending on your schedule and location, you just can’t help your loved one with it all. So, how can they stay in their own Palos Verdes home longer and still get out and socialize in the community? Is there a way that they can get a little extra help with in-home tasks and/or rides to medical appointments — without moving them into a Palos Verdes senior living facility?
Seniors can reap the benefits of nonmedical in-home services due to technological advancements. These days, 24/7 assistance or surveillance along with one-click Internet ordering are helpful tools that generations before could never have dreamed of.
- Not only can phones keep your loved one more connected to those they love via chat, e-mail, social media, texting, photo sharing, etc., smartphones have particular apps that can even detect falls.
- No smartphone? Medical alert devices can be worn around your loved one’s neck at all times so that medical help via emergency services can be on the way with the push of a button.
- Video monitoring can help you keep an extra pair of eyes on your loved one so that they can get the help they need in an emergency. Furthermore, you can have peace of mind seeing that in-home caregivers arrive on time and interact with your loved one.
- Online ordering with fast shipping times, along with convenient delivery services from local restaurants, pharmacies, and grocery stores, allows your loved one to order essentials without needing a driver’s license or having to lug heavy bags from stores to their home.
- Digital picture frames allow family members to easily send photos for seniors to see what’s going on.
Palos Verdes Senior Community Services
You often hear how it takes a village to raise a child. Well, it also takes a village to foster our seniors’ independence and lend them a hand when everyday tasks get a little overwhelming. Aging doesn’t mean your loved one has to retire from society. Palos Verdes’ senior living options shine:
- Medical Appointment Rides: Maybe your loved one doesn’t drive anymore or, if you’re their caregiver, you need respite options. Perhaps your loved one needs to take a temporary break from driving after surgery. Peninsula Transit Authority for Dial-A-Ride can get them where they need to be for medical services
- Social Engagements: For a membership fee, your senior loved one can join the non-profit, Peninsula Seniors. They can interact with other community members at meet-and-greets, attend university classes for free, and enjoy other activities with local seniors.
- Palos Verdes AARP: Check out local events and discounts.
- Palos Verdes Peninsula Village: Membership provides access to home maintenance, home safety assessment, household help, activities and programs, social connection, classes, transportation, referrals to professional services, and more.
In-Home Caregiver Can Assist with Palos Verdes Senior Living in Own Home
It’s normal to worry about your loved one and their ability to stay in their home. Aging means fall risk increases and health appointments may increase. Your senior loved one’s short-term memory may not be as sharp. But that doesn’t necessarily mean a nursing home or assisted living home is their only option — especially with our compassionate caregivers. They may be able to continue living longer in their own home with help!
While the surrounding community offers many ways to keep your loved one living their best life, Palos Verdes senior living is truly a breeze with us: A Peaceful Way Home Care. We provide non-medical, in-home caregiver services. Contact us for a free in-home assessment: (310) 377-3776.